Volunteers Are the Heart of Habitat
There are many ways you can lend a hand to provide affordable housing solutions for our community. For each home constructed, approximately 120 hands will have helped made it possible, some without ever stepping foot on the job site!
Volunteers must be 18 or older, or 16 if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Work days typically take place on Saturdays, though some work is done during the week and can be scheduled as such for groups and businesses wishing to make a contribution for their workday. All work is dependent on the weather. Instruction is provided by trained volunteers. Lunch is provided on site as a token of thanks.
We are seeking volunteers to serve as Crew Leaders, filling in one Saturday a month or more often, if desired. This is a highly rewarding role.
We are looking for individuals to assist our Construction Manager. Duties would include, but are not limited to, working with and supervising volunteers, teaching tasks, and overseeing the construction site under the guidance of our Construction manager.
- Construction background and experience.
- Team player with ability to work with, motivate and lead volunteers.
- Willing to have flexibility in hours. Saturday is the primary work day with some weekdays as needed.
- Ability to work & communicate effectively with individuals with varying degrees of experience.
Job Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Work under the guidance of our Construction Manager.
- Identify tasks to be accomplished and match volunteer crew members with tasks to be completed.
- Organize, train and manage the volunteer team so that goals are met by the end of the day.
- Be responsible for the day’s schedule, job safety and maintaining the quality of workmanship.
- Work with volunteers to keep them on task.
- Secure all tools and materials from site at end of day.
This volunteer position (Construction Crew leader) is meant to be assistance to our Construction Manager. It is intended to be a backup to the Construction Manager where the individual will work with the Construction Manager on a given workday and other times when the Construction Manager is unavailable or out of town. It is not expected that the Crew Leader will be needed or required to work all Saturdays on a construction project.
While we are always in need of skilled and unskilled workers to help build homes, there are many ways to get involved “behind the hammer” by serving on a committee or lending your talents in some other way. We draw upon volunteers to serve on the fundraising, family selection, family support (family mentor), faith relations, construction and procurement, as well as the finance committee. We need lunch providers on Saturdays, teachers for our home owner courses and people to help in the office on occasion. Your skills may even be a match for a need we have not yet identified.